Long lines, delayed equipment, and slow websites are frustrating. What’s even more frustrating is the excessive wait times at the checkout. Customers expect the checkout process to be quick and easy. With the development of mobile payments, contactless payments, and other new technological developments – expectations are on the rise. If your business is not up to par, it’s possible to fall behind and lose out to competitors.
The good news is that there are many different ways to speed up the checkout experience for customers. Eliminating lines, simplifying the process, improving customer satisfaction, and boosting conversion rates are easier and not as expensive as you may have thought. Take a look at our top tips for speeding up the checkout process.
Start Accepting More Payment Methods
Gone are the old days when only cash, credit cards, and checks were accepted at the checkout counter. Technology has introduced a variety of speedy payment methods that are easy to use. Customers also want to be able to have more options when paying for products and services. Take a look at some of the payment methods you could incorporate for a win-win.
- Mobile Payments: While mobile payments are not currently used more than cash or credit cards at the checkout counter, they are on a quick rise. One 2019 study found that over half of American adults have made a purchase with their smartphones in the past year. Mobile wallets like Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, and Payal add convenience and speed to the checkout process.
- Contactless Payments: Contactless payments, otherwise known as tap-and-pay technology, use near-field communication to facilitate a transaction. Unlike traditional chip readers that require customers to swipe their cards, tap-and-pay technology allows customers to pay by holding their cards or fobs near a contactless card reader. The process is faster and more efficient.
Incorporate Buy Online, Pick up in-Store
Most Americans enjoy the convenience of online shopping. While it’s difficult to compete with giant online retailers like Amazon or Walmart, smaller businesses can still improve their customers’ experience by incorporating buy online, pick up in-store.
Customers can come directly into your location to pick up products without having the wait in line. This decreases congestion at your retail location and quickens the checkout process. One report found that 67% of consumers viewed buy online, pick up in-store as a positive retail model. By incorporating a virtual terminal, it’s easy to turn any website into an e-commerce site.
Upgrade Your POS System
The right POS system can make all the difference when it comes to the checkout process and the impression your customers walk away with. It’s important to find a POS system that is intuitive, easy-to-use, and up to date on the latest technological innovations. You also want a POS system that offers the following features.
- Upgraded equipment that functions effectively and is user-friendly.
- Wireless terminals or equipment that is compatible with mobile devices and tablets to allow payments to take place anywhere in the store. This helps reduce lines and speeds up the checkout process.
- Signature capture on touch-screen devices and automatically emailed receipts.
- Analytical functions that allow you to quickly review transaction history.
- Built-in fraud protection tools that spot suspicious transactions in real-time.
Having to print out receipts can be a time-consuming process that delays the checkout experience. Plus, employees need to stop the refill the printer which can frustrate waiting customers. Opting into email receipts is an environmentally friendly way to cut down on wait times and improve the checkout experience.
There is no substitute for staff that is friendly, engaging, and well-trained. Your staff should have in-depth knowledge of your business and your policies. The checkout process is delayed and customers walk away frustrated when they can’t get the answers they are looking for directly and quickly. It’s also important that your staff is well-versed with your POS system. This helps avoid any technical confusion or complications. Look out for payment processing companies that can walk your staff through the system and provide 24/7 support.
Speed up the Checkout Process With Finical
Finical is a leading payment processing company that provides businesses with equipment and solutions that speed up the checkout process. From mobile terminals, virtual terminals, and wireless terminals – Finical ensures you have the state-of-the-art equipment you need to give your customers the best checkout experience. Did we mention Finical offers its equipment for free?
Get in touch with Finical for a free consultation to learn about the customized solutions we offer that will ensure your business thrives!